Don't be over-specific with your search. Getting a few extra "matches" won't hurt anything.
Likwise, don't be over-specific with people's names. In early years, the paper often
printed abbreviated first names --
"Geo." for George, or "Jno" for John. If an entry is for "Geo Smith"
but you type in "George Smith" then your request will fail. However, "g smith" will
find "Geo Smith" as well as "G. Smith", and of course "Gertrude Smith". But matching too
many entries is less trouble than matching too few.
- Don't bother typing in upper and lower case. Searching is case insensitive.
- Don't leave spaces in names. Enter "vandyke", not "van dyke". Don't use apostrophies in names like "O'Brien": type "obrien".
- Don't enter titles (honorifics) as part of the name. No 'Captain', 'Miss', 'Reverend', etc. BUT: sometimes you need 'Mrs'.
with a name.
- Ship's names: Don't enter "SS America", just "America".
- Building names can be entered in the "Business Name" space.
- If you make a mistake: You can 'unclick' a box it by clicking it a 2nd time.
Or you can click
the 'Reset/Clear' button to clear everything.